Sunday, June 3, 2012

Dinner.

I went to my best friends parents house tonight. Her mother is a breast cancer survivor. It was great to hear good feedback from an experienced patient. She told me things to expect from Chemo like taste change. She is an avid coffee lover, always has been, and could not stand the smell of it during her treatments. Her husband said he would get up in the morning, plug in an extension cord, and take the coffee machine out onto the back deck. Even in the freezing January mornings we experience here in Seattle!

I felt a lot of comfort in what she was saying. It is going to be hard but I will be fine. She is an amazing woman that I always looked up to, but after tonight I feel very good. She said something that I am sure I have heard before but it really hit me tonight. Cancer is no longer a death sentence, they are very advanced now in treatments and recovery. Their equipment is much more high tech and survival rates are higher than ever. Maybe it meant more because she is a survivor. Or maybe just because she is like a second mother to me. Probably both. She understands the nerves involved with every doctors visit and has always kept a positive attitude. She is lucky to be alive and I am lucky to know her! Thanks Bonnie for the encouragement and the wonderful spinach salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment