Saturday, May 19, 2012

Surgery Monday!

I am so scared, I have never had any major surgery. This will be my first experience with anesthesia as well. It didn't help that I watched the last 5 episodes of Greys Anatomy last night either. Now I am convinced my doctors will either be fighting or making out while I am on the table! I had to go in for a pre-op questionnaire that included what to do if I start dying. She said "we will do anything, including CPR, is that ok?" UMM YES PLEASE!!! Do whatever it takes! I want to live!!!

On a happy note, I went to my radiation orientation and it doesn't seem nearly as scary I as thought it would be. I am going to be on a pretty strict diet, especially with the chemo. But oddly enough I need to stay away from most vitamins. They say that certain vitamins are meant to fight bad things in your body and since radiation is a "bad thing" it defeats the purpose. Also I can't really have fried food or ground beef, only skinless chicken and certain cuts of meat. Plus I need a lot of protein so they want me to eat eggs, cheese, and milk like crazy. Aside from the diet part, everything seems pretty easy. He said the radiation will only take 15 to 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I will just lay on a bed and have some sort of machine beam over me. I will not feel the effects of it immediately. So if I feel safe enough to drive there, then I will be fine to drive home. Usually you get the major side effects about 3 weeks in, and they don't leave until 4 to 6 weeks after treatments are over.

Next Thursday I have my Chemotherapy orientation. I am really scared about that but I also know that this is just part of the battle. I will be fine. I will beat this!

2 comments: